The Chair of Armenian Language and Literature of MMU was founded in 2001 by Ph.D., MMU Professor Atayan A. M., who headed the Chair until 2008. In the period from September 2008 to 2016, the Chair was headed by Ph.D., Associate Professor Margaryan L.G., from 2017 to 2018, the head of the Chair was A.V. Airiyan. Today, the head of the Chair is Ph.D., senior lecturer A. Y. Baghdasaryan.
There are 12 teachers at the Chair: S. A. Khanyan, Ph.D., Professor, Ph.D., Professor of MMU A.M. Atayan, A. S. Zakharyan, Ph.D., Associate Professor, A.A. Petrosyan, Ph.D., Associate Professor, A. Y. Baghdasaryan, R. N. Sayyan. Ph.D., Senior lecturer , senior lecturers L. S. Minasyan, A.V. Hayriyan, M. A. Avetisyan, lecturers N. S. Tamrazyan, K.A. Grigoryan.
The Chair takes an active part in interuniversity and international conferences organized by the University, organizes literary and poetic events, debates and presentations of new books published in print.
The mission of the Chair of Armenian Language and Literature of the MMU is to train a highly qualified, erudite, knowledgeable, competitive, comprehensively developed teacher, capable of self-realization, striving for self-improvement, able to adapt to new conditions and requirements of the labor market.
The Chair sets the following goals and objectives:
- To provide high-quality education, reconstructing, if necessary, the structure and content of the educational program
- Improve the process of teaching, learning and evaluation
- Conduct continuous monitoring in order to disseminate best teaching practices
- To ensure the wide application of information technologies in the learning process
- To promote an increase in the number of scientific research and research projects and the involvement of teachers and students in the scientific process
- Expand cooperation with research institutes of the Republic of Armenia and the Republic of Armenia, with universities and other educational institutions
- To develop the professional potential of the teaching staff (to organize courses to improve the pedagogical skills of young teachers, scientific and methodological seminars).
Within the framework of increasing the volume of research work and expanding the participation of teachers and students in it, the Chair of Armenian Language and Literature plans to organize work in the following areas: comprehensive study of the Artsakh dialect, research of trends in the development of literary Western Armenian and Eastern Armenian languages, as well as trends in the development of Armenian literature of the Diaspora and Artsakh and modern Armenian literature.