The Chair of Jurisprudence was created as a result of the reorganization of the Chair of History and Jurisprudence in 2003.
Since its foundation, the head of the chair was Associate professor of the MMU A.N. Harutyunyan.
2006 – 2018, M.R. Kagramanyan, a practicing lawyer, a member of the Chamber of Advocates of the Nagorno–Karabakh Republic, a member of the Bar Association of the Dnipropetrovsk region (Ukraine), headed the chair.
March 2019 – up to date, the chair has been headed by Ph.D., Associate Professor S.G. Petikyan.
Research focus of the chair: actual problems of state-legal construction in the NKR.
The main tasks of the Chair of Jurisprudence are:
- improving the educational and methodological activities of the teaching staff of the chair;
- improving learning technologies in order to develop the creative potential of students’ personality and their capabilities;
- ensuring the implementation of legal disciplines in the field of public and private law;
- conducting scientific research in the field of various branches of law;
- involvement of students in research activities in the field of public or private law.
The chair is a graduate and implements general bachelor’s degree programs, as well as a master’s degree program “Constitutional Law. Theory of State and Law”, “Criminal Law and Process”, scientific guidance of undergraduates, preparation of master’s theses and conducting state final certification of graduates.
In order to organize the training of lawyers more effectively, a forensic laboratory was created. It is planned to create a training courtroom.
The Chair of Jurisprudence of the UMM effectively cooperates with both local and research centers of the CIS countries. Students of the faculty undergo practical training in courts, justice and the Ministry of Internal Affairs.